Most professional pond landscapers know all about design and the aesthetics of attractive backyard fish ponds … However they don’t always understand what is required to make a fish pond successful and a healthy pond environment for Koi, goldfish and other aquatic pond life! Let me explain a little bit more …
A garden pond or water garden is more than a beautifully designed landscape feature with fish. It is a balanced eco system that requires specialized pond keeping equipment to maintain the overall eco balance and clean pure pond water. Any successful backyard pond keeper will know of the importance of the following pond keeping equipment …
How Do I Choose The Right Pond Keeping Equipment For A Garden Fish Pond
Think ahead when considering the garden pond design and decide whether you intend to incorporate a cascading waterfall, pond fountain, pond filter, pond pump, pond lighting, UV sterilizer etc. If you are then please be aware that you will need an electricity source and also that the Major Cost associated with any garden fish pond is the running costs (electricity consumption).
A Garden Pond Pump Is Essential
A reliable and cheap to run pond pump is a must … Please read the following articles on how to choose the best pond pump in UK to make an informed decision, saving you plenty of money in the long run … Please bear in mind the following …
- Many sellers of pond keeping equipment including pumps will have a limited knowledge of what is important and what isn’t. They may provide you with inadequate information or be biased in favor of a particular range of pumps (monthly sales targets etc.
- Beware of a garden pond pump that appears to be very cheap or one that you haven’t heard of before … read articles and forums on-line. The internet is an excellent source of advice and recommendations. The major consideration for any pond pump is the running costs, bearing in mind that a pond pump needs to run continuously.
- Look at the manufacturers warranty and the length of power cord supplied … 2 years is the minimum that you should consider. 10 meters of cable is also the minimum I would consider. Of course you can always buy an extension … but why would you want to do that?
- Are you after a pond pump simply to supply water to your pond biofilter or are you trying to create a waterfall or fountain effect. Choosing a submergible fountain pump (submersible fountain pump) will save you the added expense of adding a fountain nozzle attachment later. A good fountain pump will incorporate a strainer device, to prevent pond solids and debris from blocking the nozzles.
A Biological Pond Filter Is Critical
A biological pond filter is an absolute must for any garden pond environment, as it is responsible for purifying pond water and helping to keep your garden pond clean. If you are going to save money and avoid purchasing a pond filter then DON’T BUILD A POND AT ALL … you will end up with a murky hole that is somewhat smelly. Your beautiful pond will become a serious eye sore and a major embarrassment and annoyance … As with choosing a pond pump, choosing a correctly specified pond bio filter is critical … Many models of pond bio filters incorporate an ultra violet sterilizer, often referred to as a UV sterilizer, UVC or UV for short.
A UV Sterilizer Prevents Green Garden Pond Water
An ultraviolet sterilizer is responsible for keeping your pond water free from floating pond algae and will also kill certain strains of pathogenic bacterial and parasitic infestations … read this article on how do I control pond algae … Failure to incorporate a UVC sterilizer of some description will lead to the scourge of many pond keepers, the dreaded algae blooms that render your pond reminiscent of a bowl of pea soup. Surely the idea of a pond is to have crystal clear pond water which allows you to see your ornamental Koi, gold fish etc.
Buying the best pond pump in 2018
Deciding on a pond pump can be a confusing process, yet is important for the sake of your pond’s fish, beauty, and electric usage. Pumps that are not self-priming can burn out a motor if the power shuts off momentarily and then returns, so protect against this by installing a check valve. These pumps are designed to be used in multiple applications, from spillways to fountains,but ultimately their major purpose is providing flow for water features. You may find that 1,000 gph is not enough if you plan to have a waterfall that is more than 10 inches wide. Pond pumps have the ability to power both waterfalls and fountains as well as create circulation.
- Do not generate high head heights, meaning it is unable to lift pond water vertically, which you might need to supply water to a fountain.
- And although these pumps would in many case provide adequate flow for a Pond Filter, the major characteristic of these pumps is that they are designed to pump water vertically.
- Generally for a waterfall you will want 100 – 150 gph per inch of width of the weir (the portion that the water spills over). This amount will vary depending on how smooth or rough the weir is.
- To maximize the performance, it is important to choose the correct mixture of pump and fountain head, otherwise your pond may end up with insufficient circulation and lead to an unhealthy pond that is low in oxygen.
- Since they have no seals to wear out, they require little maintenance.
This is specified on each pump model as the Head Height. If you want less than a full flow then less flow is acceptable. This pump is for larger ponds with 1000 to 1500 gallons. Any pond worth its name must have a filtration system. If you have two ponds interconnected with a stream or waterfall you should measure them both and add the totals together.
You will also need to consider your filter and ultraviolet sterilizer (UV) to make sure that you are moving the right amount of water for these devices. They can also power waterfalls up to a maximum height of 13 feet. Without this device, your pond will quickly turn into a nauseating swamp. Doing this will avoid long terms problems associated with inadequate filter size or insufficient water turnover for the volume of the pond. It is important to know the approximate number of gallons in your water feature to be sure that insufficient circulation does not occur. Continue reading Choosing The Right Pond Pump in UK For Koi Fish